Saturday, May 5, 2007

bike shops

i had some more flats so i decided that there was something in my tires. i didn't really have time (or the expertise really) to look into it myself so i dropped my bike off with a flat front tire at bicycle sport shop yesterday before work. i explained to the tech that i was having flats on both wheels and i didn't really know why but i wanted them fixed as cheaply and as permanently as possible. i left my bike and picked it up. a patch on my front tire and $8 of labor and everything seemed aired up and good to go. i put it in my car and drove home. then when i went to get my bike out of my car and ride it to the bus stop, i noticed that my rear tire was flat. FURIOUS, i drove to the shop and presented my bike to the same bike tech, who explained that he only touched the front tire since that was the one that was flat. in my head i was sure that i had made it clear that i wanted him to look at both tires. but i didn't want to get angry about it; i just wanted it fixed. so he replaced the rear tire and tube. in theory i think the tire should have been patchable but i just wanted it worked out as quickly as possible because i was running late for work at this point. but seriously, i was angry at our communication problems. and i think the dude was a stoner and/or has aural comprehension difficulties. and i don't appreciate that.

this is not the first time a bike tech has minorly fucked up my service at BSS. but in the end they always get it right. and the only other shop i've been to, Southside, didn't give me a permanent solution to the problem i had at the time, but BSS did.

so is there some really awesome bike shop in town that i should know about?

1 comment:

tigercrush said...

I've been happy with my work at BSS and their owner, Hill Abel, puts lots of money in good bike legislation. But it can be hard to have q&c with so many techs. chris went to southside for bike work and had the same experience (it would always be more expensive than they said, the issue never seemed fixed the first try..) I like the tech guys at Ozone but I don't like the owner. I like Eastside (can't remembr the rest of the name) they are nice and affordable but out of the way.